A customer building their own software image or using a retail copy of Windows may encounter an Unknown Device in the Device Manager.
After loading all of the device drivers from the technical support web site for the specific machine, there may still be one Unknown Device.
Any of the following systems running Microsoft Windows XP or Windows 2000 Professional:
- ThinkCentre A52 (type 8153, 8154, 8155, 8156, 8157, 8158, 8159, 8160, 8161, 8162, 8163, 8164, 8165, 8166, 8167, 8168, 8169, 8170)
- ThinkCentre M52 (type 8099, 8110, 8111, 8112, 8113, 8114, 8115, 8116, 8211, 8212, 8213, 8214, 8215, 9210, 9211)
Note: Using the system Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) of "Advanced Power and Configuration Interface" (ACPI) PC, which uses an older, ISA-style PIC (Programmable Interrupt Controller) may cause the system to hang during operating system startup after applying this fix. The HAL currently in use can be viewed under the "Computer" tree of Device Manager.
The Microsoft Windows operating system is looking for the IBM Trusted Platform Module (TPM) device driver regardless of the IBM TCG Feature Setup setting in the BIOS. The customer needs to install the TPM driver to correct the unknown device.
The driver is included in the IBM Client Security Software. Download the most recent version of the IBM Client Security Software.
If the customer does not want to install the entire IBM Client Security Software, it is possible to install the TPM driver on its own. Download the Trusted Platform Module (TPM) driver.
If the customer does not want to or is unable to install the application or driver listed in the Solution section, the customer may disable the TPM driver and prevent it from being reported to the operating system.
Note: Your mouse will not work when you are in the Setup Utility. You will need to use the arrow keys.
Disabling the TPM driver
- During initial power on, press F1 key to enter Setup Utility.
- Select the Security tab and enter the TCG Feature Setup.
- Change the TCG Security Feature setting to Disabled.
- Press F10 to save and exit Setup.
- Ensure you have highlighted Yes and press Enter.
The descriptions on the right-hand side of the screen elaborate on the three feature settings.