Important: Read "Safety information" and "Handling electrostatic discharge-sensitive devices" in the Hardware Maintenance Manual. Turn off your computer and wait 3 to 5 minutes to let the computer cool before opening the computer cover.
To open the computer cover:
- Remove any media (diskettes, CDs, or tapes) from the drives, shut down your operating system, and turn off all attached devices.
- Unplug all power cords from electrical outlets.
- Disconnect all cables attached to the computer. This includes power cords, input/output (I/O) cables, and any other cables that are connected to the computer.
- Remove any locking devices such as a cable lock that secure the cover.
- Press the buttons on the sides of the computer and pivot the cover upward to open the computer as shown.