Do not open your computer or attempt any repair before reading and understanding the "Important safety information" in the ThinkCentre Safety and Warranty Guide that came with your computer. To obtain a copy of the ThinkCentre Safety and Warranty Guide, go to:http://www.lenovo.com/support
This section provides instructions on how to replace the microprocessor.
The heat sink and microprocessor might be very hot. Turn off the computer and wait three to five minutes to let the computer cool before removing the computer cover.
To replace the microprocessor, do the following:
- Remove all media from the drives and turn off all attached devices and the computer. Then, disconnect all power cords from electrical outlets and disconnect all cables that are connected to the computer.
- Remove the computer cover. See "Removing the computer cover".
- Lay the computer on its side for easier access to the system board.
- Locate the system board and disconnect all cables connected to the system board. See "Locating parts on the system board".
- Remove the heat sink and fan assembly. See "Replacing the heat sink and fan assembly".
Note: Place the heat sink and fan assembly on its side so that the thermal grease on the bottom of it does not get in contact with anything.
- Lift the small handle 1 and open the retainer 2 to access the microprocessor 3.
Figure 1. Accessing the microprocessor
- Lift the microprocessor straight up and out of the microprocessor socket.
Figure 2. Removing the microprocessor
a. Your microprocessor and socket might look different from the one illustrated.
b. Note the orientation of the microprocessor in the socket. You can either look for the small triangle 1 on one corner of the microprocessor or note the orientation of the notches 2 on the microprocessor.
c. Touch only the edges of the microprocessor. Do not touch the gold contacts on the bottom.
d. Do not drop anything onto the microprocessor socket while it is exposed. The socket pins must be kept as clean as possible.
- Make sure that the small handle is in the raised position and the microprocessor retainer is fully open.
- Remove the protective cover that protects the gold contacts of the new microprocessor.
- Hold the new microprocessor by its sides and align the small triangle on one corner of the new microprocessor with the corresponding small triangle on one corner of the microprocessor socket.
- Lower the new microprocessor straight down into the microprocessor socket on the system board.
Figure 3. Installing the microprocessor
- Close the microprocessor retainer and lock it into position with the small handle to secure the new microprocessor in the socket.
- Reinstall the heat sink and fan assembly. See "Replacing the heat sink and fan assembly".
- Reconnect all cables that were disconnected from the system board.
- To complete the installation or replacement, go to "Completing the parts replacement".