- Analog Devices AD1981B AC97 Soft Audio
- AC97 2.3 compatible
- Speaker technology
- Volume up, down, and mute buttons
- Two audio jacks:
- One for external stereo speakers or headphone
- One for an external microphone
- 86 key keyboard with embedded numeric keypad and the TrackPoint pointing device with Press-to-Select, and Internet Scroll Bar
- 90 DBCS key keyboard with embedded numeric keypad, featuring the TrackPoint pointing device.
- ThinkPad button, ThinkLight keyboard light, individual volume up, down, and mute buttons
- The keyboard has a Fn key which is a special key and is located in the lower left corner. The Fn key allows the user to instantly activate the following operational features by pressing the Fn key and a designated function key:
- Switching between Display device
- 64-bit Double Data Rate (DDR) non-parity SDRAM memory
- PC2700 at 266MHz
- Two 200 pin SO-DIMM memory slots, one slot is pre-populated with 256MB or 512MB, leaving one socket available
- Supports up to two 1GB SDRAM SO DIMMs
- Supports maximum memory up to 2GB
- The TrackPoint features Press-to-Select, Internet scroll, and magnifying glass for accurate and convenient control and comfort.
- Available processors are:
- Intel Mobile Pentium M at 1.4, 1.5, 1.6, 1.7, 1.8GHz
- Intel PM 705, 710, 715, 725, 735, 745
- Celeron M 1.3GHz
- Celeron M 320, 330, 340, 350, 360
- Enhanced Intel SpeedStep technology
- Celeron models have 512KB onboard L2 cache memory. Intel Mobile Pentium M models have 1MB onboard L2 cache memory.
Note: Public network download speeds are limited to 53kbps. Upload speeds are limited to 48Kbps. Actual speeds depend on many factors and are often less than the maximum stated.
- Selected models have a modem communication daughter card (CDC)
- K56Flex v.92
- 10/100 Ethernet installed on systems via the system board
- One, integrated, fixed optical drive bay
- One CDC slot (not CRU)
- Two USB ports
- CRT port for external monitor
- Parallel port
- Audio ports
- External stereo speakers or headphone
- External microphone
- Built-in RJ-11 and RJ-45 connectors for telephony and LAN connections
Note: A USB mouse and keyboard can be connected to the two available USB ports.
- Conforms to the PC Card Standard 95
- The Type III slot can accommodate one Type I, one Type II, or one Type III PC card
- Both 16-bit and 32-bit cards are supported.
- PCMCIA 2.1 standard
- No zoom video support
- 14.1inch: 314mm (12.4in)
- 15inch: 332mm (13.1in)
- 14.1inch: 260mm (10.2in)
- 15inch: 269mm (10.6in)
- 14.1inch: 34 to 37mm (1.35 to 1.46in)
- 15inch: 37 to 40mm (1.46 to 1.58in)
- 14.1inch: 2.6kg (5.7lb) to 2.9kg (6.4lb)
- 15inch: 2.8kg (6.2lb) to 3.2kg (7.1lb)
- Battery pack (Li-Ion): 327g (0.721lb)
Note: All weight and dimensions are approximate.
- Heat dissipation: 245Btu/hr maximum
- Heat emissions: 72watts maximum
- FCC Class-B certified to comply with FCC Rules, Part 15
- VCCI Class B
- CSA C22.2 No. 950
- MPR-II (Sweden)
- CE Mark
- AC adapter: This ac-to-dc converter supplies the necessary power to the computer. The ac adapter also charges the battery pack when it is installed in the computer.
- Universal AC adapter (72 W):
- Input is 100/240V AC, 1.5/0.9A, 50/60Hz
- Output is 16 V dc, 4.5A
- The battery pack is an internal power source to the computer when the ac adapter is not available. The battery pack is rechargeable and is charged using the ac adapter with the system.
- You can determine how much battery power remains by using the fuel- gauge ThinkPad utility program, which displays the percent charge remaining.
- A six cell Li-Ion battery pack is shipped with the system.
- Approximate operation and charging hours are:
- Power off/suspend charging:
- 6-cell Li-Ion battery: 3.6 hours
- Charging during operation:
- 6-cell Li-Ion battery: 4.0 hours
- Approximate hours of battery operation:
- 6-cell Li-Ion battery: From 3.5 hours to 4.7 hours
- (*1) Recharge time also varies.
- (*2) These model numbers achieved eTesting Labs, Inc.'s BatteryMark 4.0.1 or the Ziff Davis Media Inc.'s Business Winstone 2002 BatteryMark Version 1.0 Battery Rundown Time of at least the times shown above. This test was performed without independent verification by VeriTest testing division of Lionbridge Technologies, Inc. ("VeriTest") nor Ziff Davis Media Inc.; neither Ziff Davis Media Inc. nor VeriTest makes any representations or warranties as to these test results. A description of the environment under which the test was performed is available at: www.ibm.com/pc/ww/thinkpad/batterylife.html. Battery life (and recharge times) will vary based on many factors including screen brightness, applications, features, power management, battery conditioning and other customer preferences.
Locking device in the security slot provides physical security.
- A Power-on password (POP) protects the system from unauthorized use. If a POP is set, the password prompt appears:
- Each time the system is turned on
- When the system is returned to normal operation from suspend mode
- A Supervisor Password provides a higher level of security than the POP. The Supervisor Password protects the system functions from being used by unauthorized users,and protects the hardware configuration from unauthorized modification. The Supervisor Password prompt appears:
- When the BIOS setup screen is accessed.
- A hard drive Password (HDP) protects hard drive data from unauthorized users. Once HDP is set, data on the hard drive cannot be accessed without the correct HDP. Because the HDP is stored in the hard drive, the data remains protected even if the hard drive is removed to another system. The HDP password prompt appears:
- Each time the system is turned on
|The following operating systems are supported on the ThinkPad R50e systems: |
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional
- Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Note: Previous versions of these operating systems are not supported.
The following drives are nonremovable.
- 24x CD-ROM
- 8x DVD-ROM
- 24x24x24x/8x CDRW/DVD combination drive
- Only available using USB or Docking solution
|Hard drive features|
- Supported hard drive thickness: 9.5mm for all systems
- Standard 30GB, 40GB, 60GB hard drive sizes.
- S.M.A.R.T technology to issue an alert if a hardware failure is pending
- ATA Bus Interface
- 4200 rpm
- Although you can upgrade the hard drive, it is not designed to be removed and reinserted on a regular basis. Repeated and frequent removal, for purposes other than to upgrade for greater capacity, can cause damage to the system.
|14.1inch TFT display or 15inch display |
|Video chipset: |
- 64MB Intel 855GM video chipset
Note: * Supported only in panning mode on LCD
|Resolution||LCD Color depth|
|640x480||256, 64k, 16M|
|800x600||256, 64k, 16M|
|1024x768||256, 64k, 16M|
Note: * Does not support AVI MPEG-1 playback, OpenGL, or Direct3D
|Resolution||Supported refresh rates in Hz for external monitors|
|640x480||60, 72, 75, 85, 100, 120 Hz|
|800x600||60, 72, 75, 85, 100, 120 Hz|
|1024x768||60, 70, 75, 85, 100, 120 Hz|
|1280x1024||60, 75, 85, 100*, 120* Hz|
|1600x1200||60, 75*, 85*, 100*, 120* Hz|
|2048x1536||60*, 75* Hz|