Some models of the ThinkPad R61 15.4-inch widescreen computer do not have the Modem Daughter Card slot. Instead, the modem function is integrated in the system board.
If your computer is the ThinkPad R61e model, it does not have the Modem Daughter Card slot. Instead, the modem function is integrated in the system board.
Attention: During electrical storms, do not connect the cable to or disconnect it from the telephone outlet on the wall.
Electric current from power, telephone, and communication cables is hazardous. To avoid shock hazard, disconnect the cables before opening the cover of this slot.
Note: The drawings shown here are for the ThinkPad T61 14.1-inch model. The procedure is the same for the ThinkPad T61 15.4-inch widescreen, ThinkPad T61 14.1-inch widescreen, ThinkPad R61 14.1-inch widescreen, and ThinkPad R61 15.4-inch widescreen models.
To replace the Modem Daughter Card (MDC):
Attention: Before you start installing an MDC, touch a metal table or a grounded metal object. This action reduces any static electricity from your body. The static electricity could damage the card.
- Turn off the system; then disconnect the ac adapter and all cables from the system. Wait for a few minutes until the inside of the system cools, before you start the following procedures.
- Close the system display, and turn the system over.
- Remove the battery.
- Remove the keyboard.
- Remove the two screws securing the Card.
Note: Some models of the ThinkPad T61 computer with 14.1-inch display or 15.4-inch widescreen have a shield bracket installed on top of the MDC. In such case, remove the three screws securing the bracket and the Card.
- Remove the Card by pulling the tab with your fingers.
- Turn the Card over (1), and then disconnect the modem cable (2) from the Card.
- Connect the modem cable to the new Card (3), and then turn the Card over (4).
- Insert the new Card into the slot so that it is seated firmly.
- Secure the Card with the two screws you removed in step 5.
- Reinstall the keyboard.
- Reinstall the battery.
- Turn the system over again. Connect the ac adapter and cables to the system; and then turn it on.