Do not open your computer or attempt any repair before reading and understanding the "Important safety information" in the ThinkStation Safety and Warranty Guide that came with your computer. To obtain a copy of the ThinkStation Safety and Warranty Guide, go to:http://www.lenovo.com/support
The heat sink and fan assembly might be very hot. Turn off the computer and wait three to five minutes to let the computer cool before removing the computer cover.
This section provides instructions on how to replace the microprocessor.
To replace the microprocessor, do the following:
- Remove all media from the drives and turn off all attached devices and the computer. Then, disconnect all power cords from electrical outlets and disconnect all cables that are connected to the computer.
- Remove the computer cover. See "Removing the computer cover".
- Remove the front bezel. See "Removing and reinstalling the front bezel".
- Place the computer on its side to gain easier access to the system board.
- Remove the PCI card holder. See "Removing and reinstalling the PCI card holder".
- Remove the heat sink and fan assembly. See "Replacing the heat sink and fan assembly".
- To remove the microprocessor (3) from the system board, lift the small handle (1) and open the retainer (2).
Important: Touch only the sides of the microprocessor. Do not touch the gold contacts on the bottom.
- Lift the microprocessor straight up and out of the socket.
a. Note the orientation of the notches (1) on the microprocessor. This is important when reinstalling the microprocessor on the new system board.
b. Do not drop anything onto the microprocessor socket while it is exposed. The socket pins must be kept as clean as possible.
- Holding the new microprocessor with your fingers, position the new microprocessor so that the notches on the new microprocessor are aligned with the tabs in the microprocessor socket.
Important: To avoid damaging the microprocessor contacts, do not tilt the microprocessor when installing it into the socket.
- Lower the microprocessor straight down into the microprocessor socket of the system board.
- Close the microprocessor retainer and clamp it with the small handle.
- Reinstall the heat sink and fan assembly. See "Replacing the heat sink and fan assembly".
- . Reinstall the PCI card holder into the chassis. See "Removing and reinstalling the PCI card holder".
- Reinstall the front bezel. See "Removing and reinstalling the front bezel".
- To complete the replacement, go to "Completing the parts replacement".