Do not open your computer or attempt any repair before reading and understanding the "Important safety information" in the ThinkStation Safety and Warranty Guide that came with your computer. To obtain a copy of the ThinkStation Safety and Warranty Guide, go to Lenovo Support Website
This section provides instructions on how to replace the primary hard disk drive.
To replace the primary hard disk drive, do the following:
- Remove all media from the drives and turn off all attached devices and the computer. Then, disconnect all power cords from electrical outlets and disconnect all cables that are connected to the computer
- Remove the computer cover. See "Removing the computer cover".
- Locate the primary hard disk drive. See "Locating internal drives".
- Disconnect the signal cable and the power cable from the hard disk drive.
- Press the blue release tab (1) down, slide the hard disk drive cage (2) to the rear of the computer, and then pivot it outward.
- Remove the hard disk drive cage from the chassis by sliding it outward.
- Pull on the blue handle (3) to release and remove the hard disk drive from the drive cage.
- Flex the sides of the blue bracket to remove the hard disk drive from the bracket.
- To install a new hard disk drive into the blue bracket, flex the bracket and align pin (1), pin (2), pin (3), and pin (4) on the bracket with the corresponding holes in the hard disk drive. Do not touch the circuit board (5) on the bottom of the hard disk drive.
Note: If you are installing a 2.5-inch hard disk drive, install the hard disk drive into a 2.5-inch to 3.5-inch hard disk drive tray first and then install the tray into the blue bracket.
- Slide the new hard disk drive into the drive cage until it snaps into position.
- Align the pivot pin on the hard disk drive cage with the slot (1) in the upper drive cage, as shown in figure above. Then, slide the drive cage with the new hard disk drive into the chassis.
- Connect the signal cable and the power cable to the new hard disk drive.
- Press down on the metal latch (2) and pivot the drive cage into place. Then, slide the drive cage to the front of the computer until it snaps into position.
Note: There are two arrows, one on the upper drive cage and one on the hard disk drive cage. The arrows are aligned when the hard disk drive is in the proper position.
- To complete the replacement, go to "Completing the FRU replacement".