Attention: Do not remove the computer cover or attempt any repair before reading the "Important safety information" in the Quick Reference that was included with your computer or in the Hardware Maintenance Manual (HMM) for the computer. To obtain copies of the Quick Reference or HMM, go to the Support Web site at http://www.lenovo.com/support.
When you receive a new hard disk drive, you will also receive a set of Product Recovery CD. The set of Product Recovery CD will enable you to restore the contents of the hard disk to the same state as when your computer was originally shipped from the factory. For more information on recovering factory-installed software, refer to "Recovering Software" in the Quick Reference.
- Remove the computer cover. See "Removing the computer cover".
Note: For this procedure, it helps to lay the computer on its side.
- Remove the lower drive cage by removing the thumb-screw and sliding the lower drive cage toward the rear of the computer.
- Disconnect the signal and power cables from the hard disk drive.
- Remove the hard disk drive from the lower drive cage by pulling the blue handle.
- Remove the defective hard disk drive from the blue bracket by flexing the bracket.
- To install the new hard disk drive into the blue bracket, flex the bracket and align the pins 1 through 4 on the bracket with the holes in the hard disk drive. Do not touch the circuit board 5 on the bottom of the hard disk drive.
- Insert the new hard disk drive into the lower drive cage with its circuit board side facing downward and snap into position.
- Connect the power and signal cables to the new hard disk drive.
- Reinstall the lower drive cage and secure it with the thumb screw.
- Go to "Completing the installation".