Do not open your computer or attempt any repair before reading and understanding the "Important safety information" in the ThinkCentre Safety and Warranty Guide that came with your computer. To obtain a copy of the ThinkCentre Safety and Warranty Guide, go to the Lenovo Support Website.
This section provides instructions on how to replace the microprocessor.
The heat sink and microprocessor might be very hot. Turn off the computer and wait three to five minutes to let the computer cool before opening the computer cover.
To replace the microprocessor:
- Open the computer cover. See "Opening the computer cover".
- Pivot the drive bay assembly upward to gain access to the system board.
- Locate the heat sink and fan assembly and disconnect the heat sink and fan assembly cable from the microprocessor fan connector on the system board. See "Locating parts on the system board".
- Remove the heat sink and fan assembly. See "Replacing the heat sink".
- Place the heat sink and fan assembly on its side so that the thermal grease does not come in contact with anything.
- Remove the hard disk drive. See "Replacing the hard disk drive".
- Lift the small handle (3) and open the retainer (1) to access the microprocessor (2).
- Lift the microprocessor straight up and out of the socket.
- Your microprocessor and socket might look different from the one illustrated.
- Note the orientation of the microprocessor in the socket. You can either look for the small triangle (1) on one corner of the microprocessor or note the orientation of the notches (2) on the microprocessor. This is important when installing the new microprocessor on the system board.
- Touch only the sides of the microprocessor. Do not touch the gold contacts on the bottom.
- Do not drop anything onto the microprocessor socket while it is exposed. The socket pins must be kept as clean as possible.
- Make sure that the small handle is in the raised position and the microprocessor retainer is fully open.
- Remove the protective cover (2) that protects the gold contacts on the new microprocessor (1).
- Hold the new microprocessor and align the notches on it with the tabs in the microprocessor socket, or align the small triangle on one corner with the corresponding beveled corner of the microprocessor socket.
- Lower the new microprocessor straight down into the microprocessor socket on the system board.
- Close the microprocessor retainer and lock it into position with the small handle to secure the new microprocessor in the socket.
- Reinstall the heat sink and fan assembly. See "Replacing the heat sink".
- Reinstall the hard disk drive. See "Replacing the hard disk drive".
- Reconnect the heat sink and fan assembly cable to the microprocessor fan connector on the system board.
- Go to "Completing the parts replacement".