The heat sink and microprocessor might be very hot. Turn off the computer and wait three to five minutes to let the computer cool before opening the computer cover.
To remove the computer cover:
- Remove any media from the drives and shut down your operating system. Turn off all attached devices. Turn off the computer.
- Unplug all power cords from electrical outlets.
- Disconnect the cables attached to the computer. This includes power cords, input/output (I/O) cables, and any other cables that are connected to the computer. See "Locating front connectors" and "Locating rear connectors".
- Remove any locking devices, such as a cable lock or padlock that secures the computer cover. Open the keylock if it is in the locked position.
- Disengage the cover latch (1) and remove the cover. Place the cover on a flat surface.