To replace a microprocessor on any of the machine types
- Turn off the computer and peripheral devices.
- Disconnect all external cables and power cords.
- Remove the cover. See "Removal and installation index - ThinkCentre A30"; to get the correct instructions on removing the cover for your system.
- Remove the system boards. See "Removal and installation index - ThinkCentre A30"; to get the correct instructions on removing the system board for your system.
- Loosen the two captured screws that hold the fansink in place, and pivot them off of the fansink notches.
- To remove the fansink from the processor, gently twist the fansink to break the seal formed by the thermal grease and remove.
Note: If the thermal grease seal cannot be broken, you may want to start up the system to heat the processor and loosen the thermal grease.
- Pull out and lift up the processor socket lever arm upward to its maximum vertical position to release the processor.
- Lift the processor out of the system board.
Note: When you install the new processor, make sure to reinstall the fansink to insure proper cooling.