Do not open your computer or attempt any repair before reading and understanding the "Important safety information" in the ThinkStation Safety and Warranty Guide that came with your computer. To obtain a copy of the ThinkStation Safety and Warranty Guide, go to Lenovo Support Website
This section provides instructions on how to install or replace a PCI card. Your computer has two standard PCI card slots, one PCI Express x1 card slot, and one PCI Express x16 graphics card slot.
To install or replace a PCI card, do the following:
- Remove all media from the drives and turn off all attached devices and the computer. Then, disconnect all power cords from electrical outlets and disconnect all cables that are connected to the computer.
- Remove the computer cover. See "Removing the computer cover".
- At the rear of the computer, press the release button (1) to open the card latch (2).
- If you are installing a PCI card, remove the appropriate metal slot cover. If you are replacing an old PCI card, grasp the old card that is currently installed and gently pull it out of the slot.
Note: The card fits tightly into the card slot. If necessary, alternate moving each side of the card a small amount until it is removed from the card slot.
- Remove the new PCI card from its static-protective package.
- Install the new PCI card into the appropriate slot on the system board. See "Locating parts on the system board".
Note: If you are installing a PCI Express x16 graphics card, make sure the memory slot retaining clips are closed before you install the graphics card.
- Pivot the card latch to the closed position to secure the PCI card.
- To complete the installation or replacement, go to "Completing the FRU replacement".