Do not open your computer or attempt any repair before reading and understanding the "Important safety information"in the ThinkStation Safety and Warranty Guide that came with your computer. To obtain a copy of the ThinkStation Safety and Warranty Guide, go to Lenovo Support Website
This section provides instructions on how to replace the microprocessor.
The heat sink and microprocessor might be very hot. Turn off the computer and wait three to five minutes to let the computer cool before removing the computer cover.
To replace the microprocessor, do the following:
- Remove all media from the drives and turn off all attached devices and the computer. Then, disconnect all power cords from electrical outlets and disconnect all cables that are connected to the computer.
- Remove the computer cover. See Removing the computer cover.
- Lay the computer on its side to get easier access to the system board.
- Remove the heat sink and fan assembly from the system board. See Replacing the heat sink and fan assembly.
- Lift the small handle (1) and open the retainer (2) to access the microprocessor (3).
- Lift the microprocessor straight up and out of the socket.
a. Your microprocessor and socket might look different from the one illustrated.
b. Note the orientation of the microprocessor in the socket. You can either look for the small triangle (1) on one corner of the microprocessor or note the orientation of the notches (2) on the microprocessor. This is important when installing the new microprocessor on the system board.
c. Touch only the sides of the microprocessor. Do not touch the gold contacts on the bottom.
d. Do not drop anything onto the microprocessor socket while it is exposed. The socket pins must be kept as clean as possible.
- Make sure that the small handle is in the raised position and the microprocessor retainer is fully open.
- Hold the new microprocessor and align the notches on it with the alignment keys in the microprocessor socket, or align the small triangle on one corner of the new microprocessor with the corresponding beveled corner of the microprocessor socket.
- Lower the new microprocessor straight down into the microprocessor socket on the system board.
- Close the microprocessor retainer and lock it into position with the small handle to secure the new microprocessor in the socket.
- Reinstall the heat sink and fan assembly. See Replacing the heat sink and fan assembly.
- Reinstall any other parts or reconnect any other cables you removed.
- To complete the replacement, go to Completing the FRU replacement.