Do not open your computer or attempt any repair before reading and understanding the "Important safety information" in the ThinkStation Safety and Warranty Guide that came with your computer.
This section provides instructions on how to replace the front and rear fan assemblies.
- Remove the computer cover. See "Cover removal".
- Locate the fan assembly that you want to replace. Your computer has one front fan assembly and one rear fan assembly. See "Locating major FRUs".
- Disconnect the fan assembly cable from the system board. See "Locating parts on the system board".
- The fan assembly is attached to the chassis by four rubber mounts. Carefully remove the four rubber mounts by breaking them or cutting them with scissors and then remove the fan assembly out of the chassis.
- Install the new fan assembly by aligning the four rubber mounts of the fan assembly with the holes on the chassis and push the rubber mounts through the holes.
- Pull on the tips of the rubber mounts until the fan assembly is in place.
- Depending on which fan assembly you are replacing, reconnect the fan assembly cable to the adapter card fan assembly connector or the rear fan assembly connector on the system board. See "Locating parts on the system board".
- Go to "Completing the FRU replacement".