To install the SO-DIMM, do the following:
- Turn off the computer; then disconnect the AC adapter and all cables from the computer.
- Close the computer display, and turn it over.
- Remove the battery.
- Remove the palm rest.
If the two SO-DIMMs are already in the memory slots, remove an SO-DIMM to make room for the new one by pressing out on the latches on both edges of the socket at the same time. Be sure to save it for future use.
- Find the notch on the contact edge side of the SO-DIMM.
Note: To avoid damaging the SO-DIMM, do not touch its contact edge.
- With the notched end of the SO-DIMM toward the contact edge side of the socket, insert the SO-DIMM into the socket at an angle of about 20 degrees (1); then press it firmly (2).
- Pivot the SO-DIMM downward until it snaps into place.
- Make sure that the card is firmly fixed in the slot and does not move easily.
- Reinstall the palm rest.
Note: When you have added or upgraded an SO-DIMM, do not use your computer until you have reinstalled the palm rest.
- Put the battery back in place, turn the computer over again, and reconnect the cables.
To make sure that the SO-DIMM is installed correctly, do as follows:
- Turn the computer on.
- While the "To interrupt normal startup, press the ThinkVantage button" message is displayed at the lower-left of the screen, press the ThinkVantage(TM) button. ThinkVantage Rescue and Recovery(TM) screen opens.
- Click Access BIOS. The System Restart Required window is displayed.
- Click Yes. The computer restarts, and the BIOS Setup Utility screen opens. The "Installed memory" item shows the total amount of memory installed in your computer.
For example, if your computer has 256MB of memory and you install a 256MB SO-DIMM in it, the quantity shown in "Installed memory" should be 512MB.