Important notices for handling the system board:
When handling the system board, bear the following in mind.
- The system board has an accelerometer, which can be broken by applying several thousands of G-forces.
Note: Dropping a system board from a height of as little as 6 inches so that it falls flat on a hard bench can subject the accelerometer to as much as 6,000 G’s of shock.
- Be careful not to drop the system board on a bench top that has a hard surface, such as metal, wood, or composite.
- If a system board is dropped, you must test it, using PC-Doctor for DOS, to make sure that the HDD Active Protection still functions (see below).
Note: If the test shows that HDD Active Protection is not functioning, be sure to document the drop in any reject report, and replace the system board.
- Avoid rough handling of any kind.
- At every point in the process, be sure not to drop or stack the system board.
- If you put a system board down, be sure to put it only on a padded surface such as an ESD mat or conductive corrugated material.
After replacing the system board, run PC-Doctor for DOS to make sure that HDD Active Protection still functions. The procedure is as follows:
- Place the computer on a horizontal surface.
- Run Diagnostics --> ThinkPad Devices --> HDD Active Protection Test.
Attention:: Do not apply physical shock to the computer while the test is running.
For access, remove:
- Battery pack
- Optical drive
- Hard disk drive (HDD) cover and HDD
- DIMM slot cover
- PCI Express Mini Card for wireless WAN
- Intel Turbo Memory Minicard or Wireless USB adapter
- Thermal door
- Fan assembly
- CPU thermal module
- Palm rest
- Bluetooth daughter card (BDC)
- PCI Express Mini Card for wireless LAN/WiMAX
- Backup battery
- Top case sub assembly
- Magnesium frame assembly
- I/O board
- LCD unit
Following components soldered on the top side of the system board are extremely sensitive. When you service the system board, avoid any kind of rough handling.
[a] ICH (I/O Controller Hub)
[c] Video chip
[d] MCH (Memory Controller Hub)
|||M2 × 3 mm, wafer-head, nylon-coated (1)||Black||0.167 Nm(1.7 kgfcm)|
|||Hex stud, spring washer (2)||Silver||0.392 Nm(4 kgfcm)|
|||M2 × 3 mm, wafer-head, nylon-coated (4)||Black||0.167 Nm(1.7 kgfcm)|
|||M2 × 9mm, wafer-head, nylon-coated (1)||Black||0.167 Nm(1.7 kgfcm)|
When installing: Make sure that the connector is attached firmly.