Important notices for handling the system board:
When handling the system board, bear the following in mind.
- The system board has an accelerometer, which can be broken by applying several thousands of G-forces.
Note: Dropping a system board from a height of as little as 6 inches so that it falls flat on a hard bench can subject the accelerometer to as much as 6,000 G’s of shock.
- Be careful not to drop the system board on a bench top that has a hard surface, such as metal, wood, or composite.
- If a system board is dropped, you must test it, using PC-Doctor for DOS, to make sure that the HDD Active Protection still functions (see below).
Note: If the test shows that HDD Active Protection is not functioning, be sure to document the drop in any reject report, and replace the system board.
- Avoid rough handling of any kind.
- At every point in the process, be sure not to drop or stack the system board.
- If you put a system board down, be sure to put it only on a padded surface such as an ESD mat or conductive corrugated material.
After replacing the system board, run PC-Doctor for DOS to make sure that HDD Active Protection still functions. The procedure is as follows:
- Place the computer on a horizontal surface.
- Run Diagnostics --> ThinkPad Devices --> HDD Active Protection Test.
Attention: Do not apply physical shock to the computer while the test is running.
For access, remove these FRUs in order:
- Optical drive.
- Hard disk drive cover, hard disk drive
- DIMM slot cover.
- PCI Express Mini Card for wireless LAN/WiMAX
- PCI Express Mini Card for wireless WAN
- Thermal door.
- Fan assembly
- CPU thermal module
- Palm rest
- Bluetooth daughter card
- Intel Turbo Memory
- Backup battery
- Top case sub assembly
- LCD unit.
- Frame L
Following components soldered on the top side of the system board are extremely sensitive. When you service the system board, avoid any kind of rough handling.
(a) ICH (I/O Controller Hub)
(c) Video chip
(d) MCH (Memory Controller Hub)
Note: (c) is only for the models with the VGA system board.
||M2 × 4 mm, wafer-head, nylon-coated (2)
||0.167 Nm(1.7 kgfcm)
||M2 × 7 mm, wafer-head, nylon-coated (2)
||0.167 Nm(1.7 kgfcm)