Do not open your computer or attempt any repair before reading and understanding the "Important safety information" in the ThinkStation Safety and Warranty Guide that came with your computer.
This section provides instructions on how to replace a hard disk drive.
When you receive a new hard disk drive, you also receive a set of Product Recovery discs. The set of Product Recovery discs will enable you to restore the contents of the hard disk drive to the same state as when your computer was originally shipped from the factory. For more information on recovering factory-installed software, refer to "Recovering software" in your ThinkStation User Guide.
Your computer supports both SAS hard disk drives and SATA hard disk drives. However, be sure that you do not install both the SAS and SATA hard disk drives into the same computer.
To replace a hard disk drive, do the following:
- Remove the computer cover. See "Cover removal".
- Locate the hard disk drive. See "Locating major FRUs".
- Disconnect the signal and power cables from the hard disk drive
- Pull the bracket handle out to remove the hard disk drive from the chassis.
- Remove the failing hard disk drive from the bracket by flexing the bracket.
- To install the new hard disk drive into the bracket, flex the bracket, and then align pin (1), pin (2), pin (3), and pin (4) on the bracket with the holes in the hard disk drive. Do not touch the circuit board (5) on the bottom of the hard disk drive.
If you are installing a 2.5-inch hard disk drive into the bracket, flex the bracket, and then align pin (1), pin (2), pin (3), and pin (4) on the bracket with the holes in the hard disk drive adapter (5).
- Install the hard disk drive and bracket into the drive bay.
- Using the signal cable that came with the new drive, connect one end of the signal cable to the drive. Locate one of the extra five-wire power cables and connect it to the drive.
Note: The signal cable will be different depending on whether you are installing a SATA hard disk drive or a SAS hard disk drive.
Connecting a 3.5-inch SATA hard disk drive
Connecting a 2.5-inch SATA hard disk drive
Connecting a 3.5-inch SAS hard disk drive
- Go to "Completing the FRU replacement".