Note: To replace the PCI Express Mini Card or the Modem Daughter Card, you need to remove the palm rest and then the keyboard. To replace the memory, you need only to remove the palm rest.
Note: The drawings shown here are for the ThinkPad T61 15.4-inch widescreen model. The procedure is the same for the ThinkPad T61 14.1-inch, ThinkPad T61 14.1-inch widescreen, ThinkPad R61 14.1-inch widescreen, ThinkPad R61 15.4-inch widescreen, and ThinkPad R61e models.
- Turn off the computer; then disconnect the ac adapter and all cables from the computer. Wait for a few minutes, till the inside of the computer cools, before you start the following procedures.
- Close the computer display, and turn the computer over.
- Remove the battery.
- Remove the four screws that secure the palm rest.
- Turn the computer over and open the display. Open up the palm rest in the direction shown by arrow (1) by picking up the projection tabs on the sides, and then release the palm rest from the computer (2).
- Detach the fingerprint reader connector by pulling the tab with your fingers (3). Now the palm rest has been removed.
To reinstall the palm rest, do as follows:
- Attach the fingerprint reader connector.
- Press the left and right top edges of the palm rest to fit it into place.
For ThinkPad T61 14.1-inch, ThinkPad T61 14.1-inch widescreen, and ThinkPad R61 14.1-inch widescreen models:
For ThinkPad T61 15.4-inch widescreen, ThinkPad R61 15.4-inch widescreen, and ThinkPad R61e models:
- Push the front side of the palm rest until it clicks into place.
- Close the computer display, and turn the computer over. Reinstall the four screws for the palm rest.