Do not open your computer or attempt any repair before reading and understanding the "Important safety information" in the ThinkStation Safety and Warranty Guide that came with your computer. To obtain a copy of the ThinkStation Safety and Warranty Guide, go to:http://www.lenovo.com/support
This section provides instructions on how to replace the rear fan assembly.
Note: Your computer supports two rear fan assemblies.
To replace the rear fan assembly, do the following:
- Remove all media from the drives and turn off all attached devices and the computer. Then, disconnect all power cords from electrical outlets and disconnect all cables that are connected to the computer.
- Remove the computer cover. See "Removing the computer cover".
- Remove the front bezel. See "Removing and reinstalling the front bezel".
- Remove the PCI card holder for easier access to the rear fan assembly. See "Removing and reinstalling the PCI card holder".
- Your computer supports two rear fan assemblies. Locate the rear fan assembly you want to replace. See "Locating components".
- Disconnect the rear fan assembly cable from the appropriate rear fan connector on the system board. See "Locating parts and connectors on the system board".
- The rear fan assembly is attached to the chassis by four rubber mounts. Remove the rear fan assembly by breaking or cutting the rubber mounts and gently pulling the rear fan assembly out of the chassis.
Figure 1. Removing the rear fan assembly
- Install the new rear fan assembly by aligning the new rubber mounts with the corresponding holes in the chassis and push the rubber mounts through the holes.
Note: The new rear fan assembly you received will have four new rubber mounts attached.
- Pull on the tips of the rubber mounts until the rear fan assembly is secured in place.
Figure 2. Installing the rear fan assembly
- Connect the rear fan assembly cable to the appropriate rear fan connector on the system board. See "Locating parts and connectors on the system board".
- To complete the installation or replacement, go to "Completing the parts replacement".