This section provides instructions on how to replace the heat sink.
To replace the heat sink:
- Open the computer cover. See "Cover removal".
- To make it easier to access the heat sink, lay the computer on its side.
- Remove the heat sink fan cable from the system board. Note the cable location. See "Locating system board connectors and components".
- Remove the heat sink from the system board by removing the 4 screws holding the heat sink to the system board 1. Carefully lift the heat sink off of the system board.
- Remove the plastic covering from the bottom of the new heat sink to expose the heat sink grease (this cover protects the heat sink grease from contamination).
Note: Do not remove the plastic covering the grease until you are ready to install the heat sink on the microprocessor. Do not touch the grease the heat sink. Do not put the heat sink anywhere except on the microprocessor after the plastic covering has been removed and the grease exposed.
- Place the new heat sink into position and replace the 4 screws to secure the heat sink.
- Reconnect the heat sink fan cable. See "Locating system board connectors and components".
- Go to "Completing the FRU replacement".