This section provides instructions on how to replace the microprocessor.
- Open the computer cover. See "Cover removal".
- Locate the heat sink. See "Locating parts on the system board".
- Remove the heat sink from the system board. See "Heat sink removal and installation".
- To remove the microprocessor (2) from the system board, lift the small handle (3) and open the retainer (1).
Touch only the sides of the microprocessor. Do not touch the gold contacts on the bottom.
- Lift the microprocessor straight up and out of the socket.
a. Note the orientation of the notches (1) on the microprocessor. This is important when reinstalling the microprocessor on the system board
b. Do not drop anything onto the microprocessor socket while it is exposed. The socket pins must be kept as clean as possible.
- Make sure that the microprocessor retainer is fully open.
- Holding the microprocessor with your fingers, remove the protective cover (2) that protects the gold contacts on the new microprocessor (1).
- Holding the microprocessor with your fingers, align the notches on the microprocessor with the tabs in the microprocessor socket
- Lower the microprocessor straight down into the socket.
- To secure the microprocessor in the socket, close the microprocessor retainer and lock it into position with the small handle.
- Install the heat sink on the system board. See "Heat sink removal and installation".
- Go to "Completing the FRU replacement".