This section provides instructions on how to replace the fan assembly. These removal instructions apply to the both the front fan and the rear fan.
- Open the computer cover. See "Cover removal".
- Note the routing of the fan-assembly wiring. See "Locating system board connectors and components". Disconnect the fan-assembly-wiring connector from the system board.
- Remove the adapter cards to access the fans. See "Accessing system board components and drives".
- If you are replacing the front fan, remove the fan bracket .
- Remove the fan assembly by releasing the fan grommets (1). Then remove the fan and wiring.
- Install the new fan assembly using the grommets (1), route the wiring, and then connect the fan-wiring connector to the system board. .See "Locating system board connectors and components".
- If you are installing the front fan, reinstall the fan bracket.
- Reinstall any adapter cards that were removed. See "Adapter card removal and installation".
- Go to "Completing the FRU replacement".