This section provides instructions on how to replace the hard disk drive.
When you receive a new hard disk drive, you also receive a set of Product Recovery discs. The set of Product Recovery discs will enable you to restore the contents of the hard disk to the same state as when your computer was originally shipped from the factory. For more information on recovering factory-installed software, refer to "Recovering software" in your ThinkCentre User Guide.
To replace the hard disk drive:
- Open the computer cover. See "Cover removal".
- Disconnect the power cable from the optical drive.
- Place your finger on the tab located on the front of the hard disk drive and push upward. Then press inward on the side tabs and pivot the hard disk drive upward to remove.
- Remove the failing hard disk drive from the chassis.
- Disconnect the signal and power cables from the hard disk drive.
- Remove the hard disk drive from the plastic bracket by flexing the sides of the bracket enough to slide it free of the hard disk drive.
- To install the new hard disk drive into the plastic bracket, flex the bracket and align pin (1), pin (2), pin (3), and pin (4) on the bracket with the holes in the hard disk drive. Do not touch the circuit board (5) on the bottom of the hard disk drive.
- Connect the signal and power cables to the rear of the new hard disk drive.
- Slide the new hard disk drive into the drive bay until it snaps into position.
- Reconnect the power cable to the optical drive.
- Go to "Completing the FRU replacement".