If the pointer on the screen does not move smoothly with the mouse, you might need to clean the mouse.
- The following illustration might be slightly different from your mouse.
- This document does not apply to optical mice.
- Retainer ring
- Plastic rollers
- Ball cage
- Turn off your computer.
- Turn the mouse over, with the top side down, and look carefully at the bottom. Twist the retainer ring to the unlocked position to remove the ball.
- Place your hand over the retainer ring and ball, and then turn the mouse over, top side up, so that the retainer ring and ball fall out into your hand.
- Wash the ball in warm, soapy water then dry it with a clean cloth. Blow air carefully into the ball cage to dislodge dust and lint.
- Look for a buildup of dirt on the plastic rollers inside the ball cage. This buildup usually appears as a stripe running across the middle of the rollers.
- If the rollers are dirty, clean them by using a cotton swab soaked in isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol. Turn the rollers with your finger and continue swabbing them until all the dirt is removed. Be sure the rollers are still centered in their channels after you clean them.
- Remove any fibers from the swab that might be remaining on the rollers.
- Replace the ball and the retainer ring.
- Turn your computer back on.