After upgrading to Windows 8.1, it is impossible to change the screen brightness with the hotkey (F11 and F12), or even with the slider in settings.
The above symptom may occur on the following systems:
The above symptom may occur under the following operating system:
Microsoft Windows 8.1
Installing Intel card driver alone may already fix the issue, however, it is recommended to install the drivers stated below to ensure that we address this brightness issue in Windows 8.1.
- Intel Video Driver for Windows 8.1(32-bit, 64-bit) - IdeaPad Z400, Z400 Touch, Z500, Z500 Touch, P50...
- Nvidia Video Driver for Windows 8.1(32-bit, 64-bit) - IdeaPad Z400, Z400 Touch, Z500, Z500 Touch, P5...
- Lenovo Power Management for Windows 8.1 (32-bit, 64-bit) - Notebook
- Please select the Intel or/and Nvidia driver to install according to your machine hardware configuration.
- The drivers provided here may not be updated as provided by Windows 8.1 but it works fine.
This also happens when installing TeamViewer as it adds its own monitor driver. To fix it, please take following actions.
- Navigate to Start -> Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Device Manager.
- In the Device Manager window, look for “Monitors”, then right-click your monitor and select “Uninstall”. Be sure to also check the “Remove driver” option. Once removed, click the “Scan for hardware changes” icon. Doing so should bring the brightness settings back.
- For both NVIDIA and Intel drivers, after performing this solution, you can restore the brightness via Windows Mobility Center (Windows+X).