|Some of these steps may not apply to your computer. Test the modem after performing each step.
- Verify that the modem line is connected to a RJ-11 phone jack
and not to a RJ-45 network port
- Verify that the modem line is connected directly to a wall outlet.
Eliminate any devices like a Telephone, answering machine, surge protector, or line splitter. Test with another phone cable and a different wall outlet, if available.
- Verify the presence of a strong dial tone on the same telephone line that modem is attempting to dial out on by connecting a telephone handset.
Note: A no dial tone error message may be due to the software not handling a certain dial tone rather than a specific hardware fault. Around the world there is a variance in the signal quality of the dial tone which causes a report of no dial tone detection. Disable the dial tone detection to correct no dial tone detected by modem error.
- Remove and then reconnect the modem card.
Note: Click the index link to view installation and removal procedures or movies.
- Verify that the latest driver has been installed properly.
Check the version using the install instructions and readme from the software and device driver files for your Value Line notebook. (Click here to learn what a device driver is.)
- Verify that no other software that accesses COM ports is running when the operating system loads (for example: fax software, synchronizing software for handheld devices, communication software, or external pointing devices that require a COM port).
- Verify that the latest BIOS and Embedded Controller when available for the Value Line notebook has been installed.
Click here to view the latest BIOS files for all Value Line notebooks.
- If these steps have not solved your problem, refer to "Need more help?"
Please select one of the following options for further assistance: