|Some of these steps may not apply to your computer. Test for system startup after performing each step.
Select your symptom from the following list or continue to the Need more help? section:
- Types of error message(s) or beep code(s) during startup
- Power-on self test (POST) errors. These errors can be text, beeps, no beeps, or a combination usually before the operating system loads.
- Operating system errors. These errors are usually a text message that appears while the operating system is loading the desktop configuration after the POST is complete.
- The system will not boot to a device and/or media (For example, a CD).
- The system may hang or lockup intermittently
- The system hard drive requires clean up to improve performance
- The system is getting no power at all
- The system does not boot to a normal configuration.
Follow the appropriate corrective actions for POST error codes (numeric, text message, or beep error codes).
Servicing the system may be required for replacement of some parts such as system board.
Search for the error message on the Support Web site in the startup or booting tips and using the site search page. If there are no results matching your search, try searching the Knowledge Base at the Microsoft support site.
- Enter the text of the error message in the "Enter search terms" field
- Ensure that the "Restrict to this location" field is set to Worldwide and the "Restrict to this document type" field is set to All Documents
- Click Restrict to this Brand
- Select ThinkPad and WorkPad in the "Restrict to this Brand" field
- Click Search
- Select Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base
- Select your operating system
- Enter the text of the error message in the "Search for" field
- Click the submit/Go button
If you are using Microsoft Windows XP Professional, you can use System Restore to go back to a previous configuration. For more information about System restore, please consult Microsoft's knowledge base.
Note: System Restore is not a backup feature and does not save personal data. System Restore saves registry information and incremental changes to monitored files. Your Value Line notebook recovery CD cannot be used when running System Restore.
If you are not using Windows XP Professional or do not wish to use System Restore, you can use Rescue and Recovery. Rescue and Recovery is a suite of tools to help you diagnose, get help, and recover your system. If you have been using Rescue and Recovery, it can be used to go back to a previous configuration.
Note: With this application, you will lose any current data that is not part of your last backup.