Instructions on how to disable your touchpad
All ThinkPad Systems
Note: For Solution (1) and (2), users need to have Synaptics ThinkPad UltraNav driver installed and is available from Support Site.
Solution 1: Short cut Key (for selected ThinkPad models)
- Press Fn+F8
- A pop up will appear UltraNav device settings
- Chose the second option which says Enable track point only (disable touch pad)(Fig 1.1)
Solution 2: Manual settings
- Click on Windows Start Button
- Go to Control Panel
- Choose Mouse
- A pop up screen of Mouse Properties
- Choose UltraNav (Fig 2.1) tab or ThinkPad (Fig 2.2) Tab
- Uncheck Enable TouchPad
Solution 3: Disable Touchpad via BIOS
- Shut down your ThinkPad then power it on.
- When the ThinkPad logo comes up, immediately press F1 to enter the BIOS Setup Utility. If your system has a Supervisor password set then you'll need to type it in when requested.
- Now use the cursor keys to navigate the menus until you find the one that relates to the TouchPad.
- Toggle the setting from Enabled to Disabled.
- Then press ESC until you get back to the Main Menu.
- Save the updated BIOS settings and then Reboot to Windows.
Note: If you are unsure of what Fn key to press when the ThinkPad is booting, try pressing Enter button and select the bios from there.