Instructions on how to enable or disable your touchpad
All ThinkPad Systems
- Microsoft Windows 10
- Microsoft Windows 8.1
- Microsoft Windows 7
There are a few different methods to enable or disable your touchpad. The one that applies to your system will depend on the model. Try the following methods:
Note: For Solution (1) and (2), users need to have Synaptics ThinkPad UltraNav driver installed and is available from Support Site.
Solution 1: Short cut Key (for selected ThinkPad models ONLY)
- Press Fn+F8. Note: User should have the following symbol on F8 key in order to use this function.
- A pop up will appear UltraNav device settings
- Chose the second option which says Enable track point only (disable touch pad)(Fig 1.1)
Solution 2: Manual settings
- Click on Start button, type Control Panel in the search box.
- Then tap or click Control Panel
- Under View by, click either Large icons or Small icons to view a list of all Control Panel items.
- Choose Mouse
- A pop up screen of Mouse Properties
- Choose UltraNav (Fig 2.1) tab or ThinkPad (Fig 2.2 or Fig 2.3) Tab
Note: If ThinkPad doesn't have ThinkPad or UltrNav tab, need to install Synaptics ThinkPad UltraNav. Go to Lenovo Support Site and select your product first before proceed to download the driver.
For more information, please check on How To Navigate And Download Lenovo Softwares Or Drivers from Support Site
- Uncheck Enable TouchPad
Solution 3: Disable Touchpad via BIOS
- Shut down your ThinkPad then power it on.
- When the ThinkPad logo comes up, immediately press F1 to enter the BIOS Setup Utility. If your system has a Supervisor password set then you'll need to type it in when requested.
- Now use the cursor keys to navigate the menus until you find the one that relates to the TouchPad.
- Toggle the setting from Enabled to Disabled.
- Then press ESC until you get back to the Main Menu.
- Save the updated BIOS settings and then Reboot to Windows.
Note: If you are unsure of what Fn key to press when the ThinkPad is booting, try pressing Enter button and select the bios from there.