You may have noticed that Windows 7 has a default country theme. For example, the following Windows 7 has a United States theme listed under Aero Themes (see Fig.1). However, it also has several other country themes stored in hidden files. This article would present how to access to them.
The above symptom may occur on the following operating systems:
Microsoft Windows 7
1. Open "Windows Explorer", click "Organize" (located on the top toolbar, the upper left side of the window) and select "Folder and search options" from the drop down menu. See Fig.2.
2. Check "Show hidden files, folders, and drives" under "Advanced settings" in the "View" tab of the "Folder Options" window. Then, uncheck the "Hide protected operating system files". In case of popup window for your confirmation, click "Yes", then click "OK".
3. Browse to the path "Local Disk (C:)\Windows\Globalization\MCT". Upon doing so, you should see some MCT- folders. Each folder represents a country. Open a folder of your choice, and open the Theme folder located inside the corresponding country folder.
You can see country theme such as AU, CA, GB, US, ZA, etc… Double click the theme to activate it and add it to your Windows 7 themes library.
4. Activate any or all themes that you would like to install by clicking the relevant theme files in the MCT folders. After you have checked out the new themes, go ahead and change the Globalization settings back for Windows. Open Windows Explorer , click "Organize" (located on the top toolbar, the upper left side of the window) and select "Folder and search options from the drop down menu". In window "Folder Options", click the tab "View". Under "Advanced settings", reselect "Don't show hidden files, folders, or drives". Also reselect "Hide protected operating system files". Click "OK".
5. Now, you have several new country themes available in your Windows 7 themes library. Right-click on your desktop and select "Personalize". You can see your new themes listed.
6. Do you want to check out some more themes that Microsoft has released? Head on over to Microsoft page
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/downloads/personalize. Pick a theme you like and click to download. It will be saved to your computer as a Windows 7 theme file. Double click the theme to activate and add to your theme library.