This section provides instructions on how to replace the ambient light sensor.
Note: The ambient light sensor is available only in some models.
To replace the ambient light sensor, do the following:
- Remove all media from the drives and turn off all attached devices and the computer. Then, disconnect all power cords from electrical outlets and disconnect all cables that are connected to the computer.
- Place a soft, clean towel or cloth on the desk or surface. Hold the sides of your computer and gently lay it down so that the screen is against the surface and the cover is facing up.
- Remove the computer cover. See See Removing the computer cover.
- Locate the ambient light sensor in the computer. See Component locations.
- Carefully remove the two screws 1 that secure the ambient light sensor and then lift the ambient light sensor out of the computer.
- Disconnect the ambient light sensor cable from the system board.
- Align the screw holes in the new ambient light sensor with the corresponding holes in the computer and then install the two screws to secure the ambient light sensor.
- Connect the new ambient light sensor cable to the system board. See System board part and connector locations.
- To complete the installation or replacement, see Completing the parts replacement.