Note: This program has expired on October 1, 2010. Information provided herein serves as reference only.
|Select your preferred language from the list below:
A limited number of ThinkPad users have reported the following symptoms:
- Irreparable damage or battery cannot be charged error message from Power Manager or Message Center
- Low battery capacity, as indicated by short battery run time or sudden drops in the battery fuel gauge
Only the following ThinkPad Models and battery FRU part numbers are affected by this issue:
||Battery FRU part number
|R60, R60e, R60i R61, R61e, R61i, T60, T60p, T61, T61p
||42T4546, 42T4566, 92P1141
|X60, X60s, X61, X61s
||42T4550, 42T4567, 42T4568, 92P1169, 92P1173, 93P5028, 93P5030
Note: This issue is not a safety recall and does not pose a safety hazard.
Please refer to the examples of what this error message looks like below.
View the error messages shown by Power Manager
View the error messages shown by Message Center
View the error messages shown in the Windows System Notification Area
Run the Battery Diagnostic Tool (link provided below) to determine if your battery has failed due to this issue and qualifies for a free replacement. If the tool determines that your battery is eligible, it will direct you to the site where you can request a replacement. Lenovo is offering replacements only for batteries that have failed due to this problem.
Note: Battery diagnostic tool no longer available
About the Battery Diagnostic Tool:
- The battery must be installed in the computer.
- The tool requires an active Internet connection for the following reasons:
- To query our server for the current time and date
- To check for tool updates
- To open your default web browser to order a replacement battery if your battery qualifies
- If you have any problems running the tool, please temporarily disable your firewall software and run the tool again.
View Frequently Asked Questions
- A message about irreparable damage to the battery or Battery cannot be charged appeared on my computer screen. What does it mean?
The Irreparable damage to the battery or Battery cannot be charged messages mean that it is no longer possible to charge or discharge your battery. While this is a permanent failure of the battery, it is not a safety issue.
- What does low battery capacity mean?
Low battery capacity means that battery run time is short and / or the battery fuel gauge drops suddenly.
- What is Lenovo doing about this problem?
If your battery has failed due to this problem, Lenovo will replace it for free. Use the Battery Diagnostic Tool to determine if you are eligible for a replacement.
- May I have a replacement battery, even though my battery has not failed?
No. Only a small percentage of batteries will actually fail, so we are offering free replacements only for failed batteries.
- Does this problem pose a safety hazard?
- The Battery Diagnostic Tool said I did not qualify for a replacement battery. Why not?
- In order to qualify for a replacement battery you must meet the following criteria:
- The battery must have already failed due to the Irreparable Damage or Battery cannot be charged errors or have low battery capacity as indicated by short battery run time or sudden drops in the battery fuel gauge.
- The battery FRU part number must be on the list shown in the model/part list on this page.