This section provides instructions on how to replace the WI-FI card.
The WI-FI card is available only in some models.
To replace the WI-FI card, do the following:
- Remove all media from the drives and turn off all attached devices and the computer. Then, disconnect all power cords from electrical outlets and disconnect all cables that are connected to the computer.
- Place a soft, clean towel or cloth on the desk or surface. Hold the sides of your computer and gently lay it down so that the screen is against the surface and the cover is facing up.
- Remove the computer cover. See Removing the computer cover.
- Locate the WI-FI card on the system board. See Component locations.
- Disconnect the two cables from the WI-FI card.
- Carefully remove the two screws that secure the WI-FI card to the system board. Then, pivot the WI-FI card upward and lift the WI-FI card to remove it from the mini PCI Express slot.
- Insert the notched end of the new WI-FI card into the mini PCI Express slot. Press the new WI-FI card firmly and then pivot the WI-FI card to align the screw holes in the new WI-FI card with those in the system board.
- Install the two screws to secure the new WI-FI card to the system board.
- Connect the two cables to the new WI-FI card.
- To complete the installation or replacement, see Completing the parts replacement.