Instructions on accessing recovery and repair options in Windows RE by user selection in Microsoft Windows 8 preloaded systems.
The above symptom is associated with the following systems:
System is configured with:
- Microsoft Windows 8 preinstalled or installed from Lenovo supplied recovery media
Microsoft Windows 8 users can access Windows RE features through the Boot Options menu which can be launched from Windows in one of the following ways:
- In Windows, open the Settings charm > More PC settings > General. In Advanced Startup, click Restart Now.
- In Windows, open the Settings charm, and then hold the Shift key while clicking Restart.
- From a command prompt, run the Shutdown /r /o command.
- From an administrator command prompt, run the Reagentc /boottore command.
- Boot the computer by using recovery media.
For more information about recovery media, click on the following links:
How to Create Recovery Media to Run Push-Button Reset Features
How to Create Recovery Media and reload a Lenovo Think system with Microsoft Windows 8 preload
In some scenarios, Windows RE automatically tries to repair the system.
In addition, the following scenarios automatically trigger failover to Windows RE:
- Two successive failed attempts to start Windows.
- Two successive unexpected shutdowns that occur within two minutes of boot completion.
- A Secure Boot error (except for issues related to Bootmgr.efi).
- A BitLocker error on touch-only devices.