Office 2010 Transition OOBE will disappear if users remove or repair Office as shown below:
To reproduce this issue, following the steps below:
1. To download and install the Office 60-day free trial version from the Office 2010 Transition OOBE, click on Start, All Programs, Microsoft Office, and then click the Try button.
2. After the trial version is installed, open Office OOBE and click the Activate button. The Activate page is changed as below:
3. Choose the Repair or Remove option and then click the Continue button.
4. If the user chooses Repair, Office OOBE will disappear after the completion of Repair. If the user chooses Remove, all Office Transition versions (includes the Office 2010 Trial version) will be removed, and Office OOBE will also disappear.
The above symptom is associated with, but not limited to, the following systems:
If users choose to remove Office 2010 Transition, there is no impact to them for the Office OOBE disappearance. If users repair the Office 2010 Transition, the impact of OOBE disappearance is that they may not know how to activate Office for the Purchased Product (Office Professional, Office Home and Student, or Office Home and Business version) instead of inputting license key in Office OOBE.
Microsoft provides another way to activate Office as below:
1. Users open an Office Product such was Word or Excel and go to the Help Page by clicking on File and then click on Help.
2. On the right side of the screen, the user should click Purchase Product as shown below.
3. Office Anytime Upgrade will pop up and the user should click the Enter Product Key button to enter the Product Key.
4. The Office trial version will be upgraded to the Office purchased version.