To remove the processor:
- Place the system in the service position.
- Turn off the system and all attached perpherial devices.
- Disconnect the power cords and all external signal cables. Open the top cover.
- Press the cover release buttons, one on each side and rotate the cover up to the open position.
- Open the drive bay assembly. Grasp the assemble and rotate to the open position.
- Remove the heat sink. Prior to removing the heat sink, you should power on the system for a few minutes to soften the thermal layer so the heat sink can easily be removed then power off.
- Rotate the heat sink release lever to the open position.
- Pivot the heat sink up to disengage the bottom end of the heat sink from the lip on the heat sink retention bracket.
- Remove the processor. Rotate the processor release lever to the open position.
- Open the processor retainer. Place the vacuum tool in the center of the processor and squeeze the tool to apply suction to the processor.
- Gently lift the processor straight up from the socket. Use care not to touch the contacts because any contamination can damage them. If the processor is going to be removed for any length of time, you must install a dust cover to protect the socket from contamination.
Note that when you replace a processor, you must return the processor replacement tool, along with the replaced processor, in the packaging provided. The replaced heat sink should be disposed of locally.
Full service video CD available from http://www.pc.ibm.com/training.