This utility will examine your system configuration and detect all SATA optical drive (ODD) installed in your ThinkPad. SATA (Serial AT Attachment) is a new interface for storage devices. The utility will then check the firmware revision of the ODD and judge whether your system requires a firmware update or not. If required, it will prompt you to run the appropriate firmware update program for your drive.
There is no ISO format release for the SATA ODD firmware update.
- This program is language independent and can be used with any language system.
- ThinkPad T420, T420i, T420s, T420si ThinkPad T520, T520i, W520
- ThinkPad X220, X220i, X220 Tablet, X220i Tablet
- ThinkPad T410, T410i, T410s, T410si
- ThinkPad T510, T510i, W510
- ThinkPad X201, X201i, X201s, X201si, X201 Tablet, X201i Tablet
- ThinkPad W701, W701ds ThinkPad L420, L520 ThinkPad R500
- ThinkPad T400, R400
- ThinkPad T500, W500
- ThinkPad W700, W700ds
- ThinkPad X200, X200s, X200 Tablet
- ThinkPad SL410, SL510, L412, L512
- ThinkPad Edge 14", 15", E40, E50
- ThinkPad SL300, SL400, SL500, SL400c, SL500c
- Microsoft Windows 7 32-bit, 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows Vista 32-bit, 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows XP 32-bit, 64-bit
- Removed support for ThinkPad T430, T430i, T430s, T430si, T530, T530i, W530, X230, X230i, X230 Tablet, X230i Tablet.
- Support for HLDS GT80N, GU70N, PPRD UJ8C0 and UJ8C2.
- Firmware update for HLDS GT50.
- GT50N LT22 Serial Ultrabay Enhanced
- GT80N LT21 Serial Ultrabay Enhanced
- GU70N LT23 Serial Ultrabay Enhanced
- UJ8C0 SB02 Serial Ultrabay Enhanced
- UJ8C2 SB02 Serial Ultrabay Enhanced
FWSB10 (26 September 2012)
Support for ThinkPad T430, T430i, T430s, T430si, T530, T530i, W530, X230, X230i, X230 Tablet, X230i Tablet.
- GT50N LT21 Serial Ultrabay Enhanced
FWSB09 (06 July 2012)
- GT30N LT13 Serial Ultrabay Enhanced
- GT30N LG13 ThinkPad SL410, SL510, L series
- GT30N LE13 ThinkPad Edge and E series
- GT33N LT23 Serial Ultrabay Enhanced
- GT33N LT31 ThinkPad SL410, SL510, L series
- GU40N QX22
- DU30N RX11
Please refer to the README file in the attachment table for a complete list of changes fixed by this driver update.
This package provides firmware for the following Optical Drives. ("x" means a character, "|" shows new to this list.)
||GSA-T50N (for Serial Utrabay Enhanced)
||GSA-T50N (for ThinkPad SL series)
||GT30N (for Serial Utrabay Enhanced)
||GT30N (for ThinkPad SL410, SL510, L412, L512)
||GT30N (for ThinkPad Edge 14", 15", E40, E50)
||HLDS GT33N (for Serial Utrabay Enhanced)
||HLDS GT33N (for ThinkPad SL410, SL510, L412, L512)
To know a make and model of your ThinkPad ODD, following steps will be helpful.
- Click Start button on the task bar.
- [Windows XP]
Select All Programs then select Accessories and select Run.
Search programs and files.
- Enter devmgmt.msc and press Enter key or click OK.
- Click to open DVD/CD-ROM drives entry from the device list.
- You will find a make and a model of the SATA ODD.
- Start Windows and logon with administrative privileges.
- Download the listed file.
- When you use this update utility, all the process has to been done under AC powered with a fully charged battery installed.
This is for avoiding an accident of power lost.
- The update utility will not find an optical drive in a Docking Station.
In this case, please remove the drive and install it into a bay in your ThinkPad.
If you encounter a problem installing a drive into your ThinkPad, please call your local Help Center.
- The utility contains several executable files, but DO NOT RUN THESE PROGRAMS OTHER THAN SPECIFIED. Running these programs manually could ruin your drive.
- The Optical Drive Firmware Update Utility does not support a suspend/hibernation/resume feature of the ThinkPad while the firmware update utility is running. Please do not use Fn-F4 or equivalent functions.
- Remove an optical disc media from an ODD before start update.
Attention: Please do not power off the ThinkPad during the firmware update, or your optical drive may NOT be usable anymore.
- Run the downloaded file.
- Follow the instruction on the screen.
- There will be several files extracted.
- Open "My Computer" and open folders to reach where the Firmware Update Utility extracted. They will be in 'drive:\fwsbxx' subdirectory or under the fwsbxx folder under the file downloaded folder.
(where 'xx' indicates a release version of the utility.)
- Find the fwwinod.exe and run it with double clicking.
- Attention: Do not run other the programs. (see Notes above)
- Follow the instructions on the screen.
- [IMPORTANT] After the update process finished, shutdown the Windows and power it on again.
Or your ODD may not work properly. An updated firmware needs to perform power on sequence to enable properly.