Do not open your computer or attempt any repair before reading and understanding the "Important safety information" in the ThinkStation Safety and Warranty Guide that came with your computer.
This section provides instructions on how to replace the diskette drive or card reader.
- Remove the computer cover. See "Cover removal".
- Remove the front bezel. See "Front bezel removal and installation".
- Locate the diskette drive or card reader. See "Locating major FRUs".
- Access system board components.
- Note the routing of the signal cable. Disconnect the signal cable from the system board.
- Press the drive latch (1) and slide the diskette drive or card reader out the front of the chassis.
- Install the retainer bracket on the new diskette drive or card reader.
- Disconnect the signal cable from the failing diskette drive or card reader and connect it to the new drive.
- Slide the new diskette drive or card reader into the drive bay until it snaps into position.
- Connect the diskette drive cable to the diskette drive connector on the system board. If you are installing a card reader, connect it to the card reader connector on the system board. See "Locating parts on the system board".
- Reinstall the hard disk drive fan bracket if removed.
- Reinstall the front bezel.
- Go to "Completing the FRU replacement".