Do not open your computer or attempt any repair before reading and understanding the "Important safety information" in the ThinkStation Safety and Warranty Guide that came with your computer. To obtain a copy of the ThinkStation Safety and Warranty Guide, go to Lenovo Support Website
This section provides instructions on how to replace the rear fan assembly.
To replace the rear fan assembly, do the following:
- Remove all media from the drives and turn off all attached devices and the computer. Then, disconnect all power cords from electrical outlets and disconnect all cables that are connected to the computer.
- Remove the computer cover. See "Removing the computer cover".
- Locate the rear fan assembly. See "Locating components".
- Disconnect the rear fan assembly cable from the system fan connector on the system board. See "Locating parts on the system board".
- The rear fan assembly is attached to the chassis by four rubber mounts. Remove the rear fan assembly by cutting the rubber mounts and gently pulling the rear fan assembly out of the chassis.
- Install the new rear fan assembly by aligning the new rubber mounts that came with the new rear fan assembly with the corresponding holes in the rear of the chassis, and then push the rubber mounts through the holes.
Note: The new rear fan assembly will have four new rubber mounts attached.
- Pull on the tips of the rubber mounts until the rear fan assembly is secured in place.
- Connect the rear fan assembly cable to the system fan connector on the system board.
- To complete the replacement, go to "Completing the FRU replacement".