Attention: Do not open your computer or attempt any repair before reading the "Important safety information". You can also find this information in the Quick Reference guide that was included with your computer or in the Hardware Maintenance Manual (HMM) for the computer.
- Open the computer cover. See Opening the cover.
- Disconnect the signal and power cables from the rear of the optical drive.
- Release the optical drive by pressing inward on the blue retainer at the side of the chassis.
- Remove the optical drive by sliding it out the front of the drive bay.
- Make sure the drive that you are installing is set correctly as either a master or a slave device. Refer to the documentation that comes with your drive for master/slave jumper information.
- Remove the retainer bracket from the failing optical drive and install it on the new optical drive.
- Install the new optical drive into the bay until the drive locks into position.
- Connect the signal and power cables to the new optical drive.
- Go to Completing the parts replacement.