Your system has a Communication Daughter Card (CDC) slot, in which you can install a Modem Daughter Card (MDC) or a Bluetooth Modem Daughter Card (BMDC).
View removal movie.
View installation movie.
To replace the MDC, do as follows:
- Turn off the system; then disconnect the AC adapter and all cables from the system.
- Close the system display, and turn the system over.
- Remove the battery.
- Remove the keyboard.
- Remove the two screws securing the card.
- Remove the card by pulling the tab with your fingers.
- Turn the card over (1), and then disconnect the modem cable (2) from the card. Disconnect the Bluetooth antenna cable from the card (3) by pulling the tab marked BT with your fingers.
Note: Depending on the ThinkPad R50 system, Bluetooth may not be included. If this is the case disregard (3).
To install the MDC, do as follows:
- Connect the modem cable to the new card (4) and the Bluetooth antenna cable (5), and then turn the card over (6).
Note: Depending on the ThinkPad R50 system, Bluetooth may not be included. If this is the case disregard (5).
- Attach the new card to the slot so that it is seated firmly.
- Secure the card with two screws which you have removed in step 5.
Note: Do not use the keyboard screws to secure the card. The two screws for the CDC are shorter than the keyboard screws.
- Reinstall the keyboard.
- Put the battery in place.
- Turn the system over again. Connect the AC adapter and cables to the system; then turn it on.