Note: To replace the PCI Express Mini Card or the Modem Daughter Card, you need to remove the palm rest and then the keyboard. To replace the memory, you need only to remove the palm rest.
Note: The drawings shown here are for the ThinkPad T61 14.1-inch model. The procedure is the same for the ThinkPad T61 15.4-inch widescreen, ThinkPad T61 14.1-inch widescreen, ThinkPad R61 14.1-inch widescreen, ThinkPad R61 15.4-inch widescreen, and ThinkPad R61e models.
To remove the keyboard, do as follows:
- Turn off the computer; then disconnect the ac adapter and all cables from the computer. Wait for a few minutes, till the inside of the computer cools, before you start the following procedures.
- Close the computer display, and turn the computer over.
- Remove the battery.
- Remove the four screws that secure the palm rest (1), and the one screw that secures the keyboard (2)
- Turn the computer over and open the display.
- Remove the palm rest.
- Carefully lift the keyboard until you can see how it's connected. Hold the keyboard above the computer, and then detach the connector. Now the keyboard has been removed.
To reinstall the keyboard do as follows:
- Reinstall the keyboard by attaching it to the connector.
- Reinstall the palm rest.
- Close the computer display, and turn the computer over. Reinstall four screws for the palm rest (1), and a screw for the keyboard (2).
- Reinstall the battery.
- Turn the computer over again. Connect the ac adapter and cables to the computer; then turn it on.