Do not open your computer or attempt any repair before reading and understanding the "Important safety information" in the ThinkCentre Safety and Warranty Guide that came with your computer. To obtain a copy of the ThinkCentre Safety and Warranty Guide, go to the Lenovo Support Website.
This section provides instructions on how to replace the hard disk drive if your computer has one. For computer models that do not have an internal hard disk drive and use a remote hard disk drive accessed through the SMC - Storage Array, contact your network or storage administrator.
To replace the hard disk drive, do the following:
- Turn off the computer and disconnect all power cords from electrical outlets.
- Open the computer cover. See "Opening the computer cover".
- You might need to pivot the optical drive bay assembly upward to gain easier access to the hard disk drive.
- Locate the hard disk drive. See "Locating components".
- Push the release button (1) of the hard disk drive bracket as shown and then lift the hard disk drive bracket up from the heat sink.
- Disconnect the signal cable and the power cable from the hard disk drive to completely remove the hard disk drive from the chassis.
- Flex the sides of the bracket to remove the hard disk drive from the bracket.
- To install a new hard disk drive into the bracket, flex the bracket and align pin (1), pin (2), pin (3), and pin (4) on the bracket with the corresponding holes in the hard disk drive.
Important: Do not touch the circuit board on the bottom of the hard disk drive.
- Connect the signal cable and the power cable to the new hard disk drive.
- Insert the two retaining clips (1) of the hard disk drive bracket into the corresponding holes in the chassis, and then pivot the hard disk drive and bracket downwards until the hard disk drive bracket snaps into position.
- Go to "Completing the parts replacement"