Do not open your computer or attempt any repair before reading and understanding the "Important safety information" in the ThinkCentre Safety and Warranty Guide that came with your computer. To obtain a copy of the ThinkCentre Safety and Warranty Guide, go to:http://www.lenovo.com/support
This section provides instructions on how to install or replace a memory module.
Your computer has four slots for installing or replacing DDR3 UDIMMs that provide up to a maximum of 16 GB system memory. When installing or replacing a memory module, use the following guidelines:
- Use 1 GB, 2 GB, or 4 GB DDR3 UDIMMs in any combination up to a maximum of 16 GB.
- Install memory modules in the sequence of DIMM 2, DIMM 4, DIMM 1, and DIMM 3. See "Locating parts on the system board".
To install or replace a memory module, do the following:
- Turn off the computer and disconnect all power cords from electrical outlets.
- Remove the computer cover. See "Removing the computer cover".
- Lay the computer on its side for easier access to the system board.
- Locate the memory slots. See "Locating parts on the system board".
- Remove any parts that might prevent your access to the memory slots. Depending on your computer model, you might need to remove the PCI Express x16 graphics card for easier access to the memory slots. See "Installing or replacing a PCI card".
- Depending on whether you are installing or replacing a memory module, do one of the following:
- If you are replacing an old memory module, open the retaining clips and gently pull the memory module out of the memory slot.
Figure 1: Removing a memory module
- If you are installing a memory module, open the retaining clips of the memory slot into which you want to install the memory module.
Figure 2. Opening the retaining clips
- Position the new memory module over the memory slot. Make sure that the notch 1 on the memory module aligns correctly with the slot key 2 on the system board. Push the memory module straight down into the slot until the retaining clips close.
Figure 3. Installing a memory module
- Reinstall the PCI Express x16 graphics card if you have removed it.
- To complete the installation or replacement, go to "Completing the parts replacement".