- If you are removing a hard drive, you should first make a backup copy of all the information on the drive, and then turn the computer off.
- Replace the hard drive only if you upgrade it or have it repaired. The connectors and bay of the hard drive were not designed for frequent changes, or drive swapping.
- Do not drop the drive or subject it to physical shocks.
- Put the drive on a material, such as soft cloth, that absorbs the physical shock.
- Do not apply pressure to the cover of the drive.
- Do not touch the connector.
- Never remove the drive while the system is operating, in standby mode, or in hibernation mode.
The ThinkPad Serial Hard Drive Bay Adapter (HD adapter), which is available as an option, enables you to upgrade the capacity of your computer by installing a secondary hard drive in the Ultrabay of the X6 Ultrabase. To install the hard drive, you must first insert the drive into the HD adapter, and then insert the HD adapter into the Ultrabay. To install the secondary hard drive into the Ultrabay of the X6 UltraBase, do the following:
- Turn off the computer; then disconnect the ac adapter and all cables from the computer.
Slide the bay latch to pop out the handle.
Pull the handle until it stops (1); then pull out the Ultrabay Slim device (2).
Insert the replaceable device into the bay; then press the device firmly into the connector.
Return the handle to its place by pressing it in.
Note: Be sure to press the handle to make sure that it is housed in its position. If the handle is improperly housed, it is vulnerable to damage.