Important notices for handling the system board:
When handling the system board, bear the following in mind.
- The system board has an accelerometer, which can be broken by applying several thousands of G-forces.
Note: Dropping a system board from a height of as little as 6 inches so that it falls flat on a hard bench can subject the accelerometer to as much as 6,000 G's of shock.
- Be careful not to drop the system board on a bench top that has a hard surface, such as metal, wood, or composite.
- If a system board is dropped, you must test it, using PC-Doctor for DOS, to make sure that the HDD Active Protection System still functions (see below).
Note: If the test shows that HDD Active Protection is not functioning, be sure to document the drop in any reject report, and replace the system board.
- Avoid rough handling of any kind.
- At every point in the process, be sure not to drop or stack the system board.
- If you put a system board down, be sure to put it only on a padded surface such as an ESD mat or conductive corrugated material.
After replacing the system board, run PC-Doctor for DOS to make sure that HDD Active Protection still functions. The procedure is as follows:
1. Place the computer on a horizontal surface.
2. Run Diagnostics --> ThinkPad Devices --> HDD Active Protection Test.
Attention: Do not apply physical shock to the computer while the test is running.
For access, remove these FRUs in order:
Following components soldered on the top side of the system board are extremely sensitive. When you service the system board, avoid any kind of rough handling.
(a) GMCH (Integrated video chip)
(c) ICH (I/O Controller Hub)
(d) Video chip (only for discrete models)
For ThinkPad Edge 14" and E40 integrated models:
For ThinkPad Edge 14" and E40 discrete models:
For ThinkPad Edge 15" and E50 integrated models:
For ThinkPad Edge 15" and E50 discrete models:
For ThinkPad Edge 15" and E50:
|1||M2 × 5 mm, wafer-head, nylon-coated (4)||Black||0.181 Nm (1.85 kgfcm)|
For ThinkPad Edge 14" and E40:
|1||M2 × 5 mm, wafer-head, nylon-coated (2)||Black||0.181 Nm (1.85 kgfcm)|
When installing: Make sure that the connectors are attached firmly to the system board.