This section provides instructions on how to replace a hard disk drive.
When you receive a new hard disk drive, you also receive a set of Product Recovery CDs. The set of Product Recovery CDs will enable you to restore the contents of the hard disk to the same state as when your computer was originally shipped from the factory. For more information on recovering factory-installed software, refer to "Recovering software" in the User Guide.
When replacing a hard disk drive in a RAID configured array, depending on which type of array is used, rebuilding the RAID array might be required. If the array is redundant, make sure to connect the new drive to the same port from which the replaced drive was removed.
To replace the hard disk drive:
- Open the computer cover. See "Cover removal".
- Disconnect the signal and power cables from the hard disk drive.
- Pull the handle to remove the hard disk drive.
- Remove the failing hard disk drive from the bracket by flexing the bracket.
- Install the new drive into the bracket, flex the bracket, and align the pins 1 through 4 on the bracket with the holes in the hard disk drive. Do not touch the circuit board 5 on the bottom of the hard disk drive.
- Install the hard disk drive and bracket into the drive bay.
- Connect the signal and power cables to the rear of the new hard disk drive.
- Go to "Completing the FRU replacement".