Do not open your computer or attempt any repair before reading and understanding the "Important safety information" in the ThinkStation Safety and Warranty Guide that came with your computer. To obtain a copy of the ThinkStation Safety and Warranty Guide, go to:http://www.lenovo.com/support
This section provides instructions on how to replace the optical drive.
To replace the optical drive, do the following:
- Remove all media from the drives and turn off all attached devices and the computer. Then, disconnect all power cords from electrical outlets and disconnect all cables that are connected to the computer.
- Remove the computer cover. See "Removing the computer cover".
- Remove the front bezel. See "Removing and reinstalling the front bezel".
- Disconnect the signal cable and the power cable from the rear of the optical drive, press the blue release button (1) as shown, and then slide the optical drive out of the computer.
Figure 1. Removing the optical drive
- Install the optical drive retainer (1) on the side of the new optical drive. Then, slide the new optical drive into the optical drive bracket from the front of the computer until the optical drive snaps into position.
Figure 2. Installing the new optical drive
- Connect the signal cable and the power cable to the rear of the new optical drive.
a. Connect the signal cable to the rear of the new optical drive.
Note: If you want to replace the signal cable, remove the PCI card holder. See "Removing and reinstalling the PCI card holder". Then, disconnect the old signal cable from the system board. Connect one end of the new signal cable to the optical drive and the other end to an available SATA connector on the system board. See "Locating parts and connectors on the system board".
b. Locate an available five-wire power connector and connect it to the new optical drive.
Figure 3. Connecting a new optical drive
- Reinstall the PCI card holder into the chassis if you have removed it. See "Removing and reinstalling the PCI card holder".
- Reinstall the front bezel. See "Removing and reinstalling the front bezel".
- To complete the installation or replacement, go to "Completing the parts replacement".