To troubleshoot serial port issues, follow these steps and test the serial port after performing each one:
Note: Before you begin, you will need to verify that you have the latest BIOS.
Please select one of the following options for further assistance:
- Ensure that the latest BIOS code is installed.
- Use one of the following two methods to check if your serial port is enabled and properly configured in the BIOS. The method used will depend on the BIOS that is installed on the system
- Verify that the serial port is seen in Device Manager and that there are no conflicts.
- For Windows 2000 or Windows XP using the classic mode, click Start, select Settings, and then click Control Panel. Double-click System.
For Windows XP using category mode, click Start, and then click Control Panel. Click Performance and Maintenance and then click System.
- Click the Hardware tab and then click the Device Manager button.