Customers who are using a custom Windows XP image (not the Lenovo factory preload) may hear a high pitched buzzing noise coming from the front left corner of the Thinkpad when running on battery power.
The following ThinkPad Systems running Microsoft Windows XP may be affected by this symptom:
- ThinkPad T60, T60p
- ThinkPad T61, T61p
- For T60 / T60p: Make sure you are at BIOS version 79ETE2WW (2.22) or later; Power Manager Version 1.43 or later; Power Management driver 1.50 or later.
- For T61 / T61p: Make sure you are at BIOS version 7LETB9WW (2.20-1.08) or later ; Power Manager Version 1.43 or later; Power Management driver 1.50 or later.
- In Device Manager, under "Universal Serial Bus controllers", you should see several "USB Root Hub" items listed.
- Under the "Power Management" tab, you should see a check box for "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power."
- If the check mark has been removed from the box, you will need to add it back (so if not checked, check it).
- You will need to do this for each and every one of the "USB Root Hubs" listed Some are USB 2.0 hubs (which actually should not affect this issue) and some are USB 1.1 hubs (which will affect the issue). We suggest putting a check mark in all of them (this is the way we ship the preload).
- See figure below
Note: If the above does not help, you may also disable CPU Power Management in the system BIOS. Under Config --:> Power --> CPU Power Management --> change to "Disable". Save and exit.